Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Intolerance.

I just became super irritated.

I was browsing around on my computer and noticed that someone left up a website called dearblankpleaseblank.com. Naturally I started scrolling through it because it seemed pretty interesting. I started laughing and smiling at it so it caught the attention of my 8 year old niece sitting next me to me. She was suppose to be writing a story for a school project but she started sneaking and was reading the page. I didn't see it personally but she started reading something out loud. I heard her saying "Is gay marriage okay?" then didn't even hesitate for a single second before she exclaimed "EW! No it's not okay, that's nasty."

I immediately did a head desk and simply said "I don't think it's nasty." She looked at me with raised eyebrows and her "Are you insane?" look.

So I have to ask, when is it appropriate to explain to a kid the facts of life? I'm not a gay/lesbian person and neither is anyone in our family but I don't think that we should just go on ignoring intolerance. It's a difficult thing to teach someone when she's also being brought up with a religious background. How am I going to be able to teach her that there is nothing wrong or nasty about people who are in the LGBT community while not interrupting her beliefs in God.

It's so frustration having so many contradictions in life. I would be nearly ashamed to have a member of my family be intolerant of anyone for something they can't help, but how do I teach them to accept people as they are. Isn't God suppose to be forgiving? Shouldn't we be telling the children in our lives not to judge?

I just don't know anymore.

Help? Answers? Advice?

Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment