Friday, January 29, 2010

WAKE UP!!!!

Okay People,

Today, I ate a grilled chicken salad. This is terrific news, you have no idea! It's basically the first thing I've been able to eat since Tuesday afternoon and I am ecstatic! I'm still not feeling 100% but I'm definitely having a much better day!! I'm even thinking if something good pops up, I might get in the shower and head out tonight, though I'm sure I'd end up regretting it later. Oh well.

Anyway, what I really want to talk about is a couple sentences people have been texting me and updating their Facebook status with. It is basically something along these lines:

"Shame on you America: the only country where we have homeless without shelter, children going to bed without eating, elderly going without needed meds, and mentally ill without treatment - yet we have a benefit for the people of Haiti on 12 TV stations. *99% of people won't have the guts to copy and repost this.*"

Umm, seriously? I would LOVE to know who came up with this. First of all, it says that America is the ONLY country with starving children, homeless people, and people going without medicating. Let me emphasize on "only" here. NO, we are not the ONLY country with these terrible things happening. WAKE THE HELL UP PEOPLE!!!! Why is it that there are SO many ignorant Americans who are too self centered to see that basically every country in the ENTIRE WORLD has it worse than we do.

I mean, come on!! America doesn't even come close to ranking anywhere NEAR the top 10 poorest countries in the world. In fact, it stands at number 8 for the richest country. So PLEASE, PLEASE you stupid, sorry bastards, STOP saying that we shouldn't be so worried about what's happening in Haiti because it's happening here. That exact situation is not happening in the United States, and I can guarantee that if it does you won't be saying to countries trying to help us "Oh, no please don't help because you have people in your own poor country to worry about." Grow up, this is the circle of life here, and not the one from The Lion King. We're suppose to help each other, we are all on this planet together, whether we like it or not.

It just kills me that people are getting pissed off that Americans are trying to do good things. I saw this girl on Twitter say something like "I hate how everyone is jumping on the Haiti bandwagon now that there was an earthquake. No one cared about Haiti before." Really? A Help Haiti Bandwagon? If that's the case, then pull over and let me on. That's one trend I will happily follow.

Look folks, I'm not trying to degrade anyone and actually call people stupid. It just kills me that there are individuals out there who really think that helping out Haiti is in any way stupid, wrong, or unfashionably trendy. I hate ignorance, and people who promote it (like the Hashtags on twitter that say "doesntmeanyourblack" - YOU'RE!) I want Americans to set a good example and not be outraged when we pull together to help people who are not our own. They are still people, and they deserve help from those of us who are able.

This is America, we are the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.
Brave people save lives - because they can.

Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment