Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day!!

I hope you all tried to decrease your carbon footprint and planted lots of flowers, plants and trees. I especially hope you did lots of those things to make up for what I didn't do. Generally every year on Earth Day I'll plant our flowers for the year, or find somewhere to put a tree, but this year I did neither of those things. The closest I got to it was planting a few trees on The Sims 3 and watching Green Day on Fuse all day. I failed the Earth this year, and I'm ashamed.

Other than my Sims playing, and Green Day watching, I didn't accomplish much today. Hannah was home from school so we cleaned and did laundry, but I do that every day so I still feel pretty unaccomplished for the day.

The good news is that tomorrow is FRIDAY! Hopefully this weekend will be good, and we can have (virgin) margarita trampoline parties, or at least one party.

For the rest of the night, I'll probably just read Philip Pullman's "Northern Lights" or as you probably know it "The Golden Compass." I've read the whole "His Dark Materials" series before and LOVED them, so I decided it was about time to give it a reread. I've started to notice a lot of what people have been saying about "Harry Potter" author JK Rowling in my reread though. I've picked up on SEVERAL things in "His Dark Materials" that Rowling seems to have jocked. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, but it definitely has a lot of parts that are clearly unoriginal. Pullman's novels were published several years before Rowling even started working on the "Potter" books. I think it's safe to say that old girl ripped off his ideas.

As I go through the series again I'm going to make a list of things that JK Rowling clearly ripped straight from "His Dark Materials" and I'll post them so we can go through and agree or disagree.

I guess for now that's it, I'll see ya tomorrow.
Faith

1 comment:

  1. Rip-off Rowling, as she's known in the Parker abode.

    Even if she didn't do it intentionally, it's still a deadly sin for any writer not to be aware of everything previously released, and it's not like HDM is obscure.

    You know how I feel about it; she'll never be found guilty in court, but she's always been guilty in my head.

    P.S. - Yes, I do regularly read your blog <4

    ReplyDelete